Wednesday, March 26, 2008

How Violence in the Media Affects Kids

For all the talk about how watching violent TV or playing violent computer games affects our children, there are many that think it's no big deal. But it really is. I've reviewed an information packed book by Jerome and Dorothy Singer, Imagination and Play in the Electronic Age, and they have compiled much of the research in the area and the results are clear. Over and over again. There is no good reason to expose our kids to violent TV, movies, video games, or internet. Please go to my review at  www.imageryforkids.com/art_imagination.asp for the full explanation. 

On the other hand, there is good news about other types of TV, video and computer games. That's in the review as well, with lots of ideas on what to choose and how to stimulate your child's imagination.

And if you haven't heard enough after reading my review, you can order the book for yourself through their publisher at www.baywood.com.

Happy watching and playing!

7 comments:

Jenny Mannion said...

Hi -- Your book looks wonderful and it is so needed in this time of information overload. It is an area close to my heart as I maintain a blog about non violent computer game recommendations for kids. Luckily I was a computer teacher in NYC for years for adults and children before becoming a mom myself so already had knowledge of MANY quality educational games and games that help imagination rather than depicting violence. I continue to research games and along those lines I would definitely recommend you check out Protozone.com. Not only have these guys designed exhibits for Children's and Science Museums but they also have great software (I've gotten a bunch for my kids) and maintain a site online with creative games for kids to play. This is my favorite site that I have reviewed so far -- (in case you couldn't tell) ;-) Good luck with your book -- I think it is a must read for parents and would love to write about it on my kid's games blog.... Please email me if you are interested -- we are already connected on self growth. Thank you! Gratefully, Jenny

Charlotte Reznick Ph.D said...

Jenny thanks for your thoughts. I want to make sure you understand this is not my book - this is written by Dorothy and Jerome Singer - I did write the review of this book which summarizes some of the information in the book!

Charlotte Reznick Ph.D said...

Thanks Jenny for the updated site, which is http://www.protozone.net/

Jean Tracy, MSS said...

Dear Charlotte,

I write a parenting letter twice a month and have long been concerned about the violence are children see. May I quote your review in one of my newsletters?

By the way, we're both on www.SelfGrowth.com and I'm taking David Riklan's awesome ebook class.

With appreciation for your work,

Jean

JeanTracy@KidsDiscuss.com

Jean Tracy, MSS said...

Dear Charlotte,

I write a parenting letter twice a month and have long been concerned about the violence our children see. May I quote your review in one of my newsletters?

By the way, we're both on www.SelfGrowth.com and I'm taking David Riklan's awesome ebook class.

With appreciation for your work,

Jean

JeanTracy@KidsDiscuss.com

Charlotte Reznick Ph.D said...

Jean,
Thanks so much for writing and your shared concerns. Yes, please free free to quote my review citing where it's from.
best,
Dr. Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.